Saturday, January 3, 2009

First Book of 2009

I finished my first book for this year! I started it just before Christmas but just couldn't get it finished in '08. The book was Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum. I didn't know anything about it other that the excerpt from Amazon.com but it sounded good and it wasn't an author I have read so, I decided to give it a read. It was, I'll admit, not the flowers and sunshine I'm used to in most of the books I choose, it was a bit more "detailed". I tend to choose books that are safe, the same author and same style, this time I branched out. What got my attention was the setting of this book, it took place current day and in Nazi Germany during WWII. I'm a bit of a history buff, my favorite time period is the Civil War through the late 1940's. Not really a surprise this would catch my eye.

The story is about Anna's life in Germany with her daughter, Trudie, before they came to the US and the adult Trudie working on a history research project and finding her story along the way. It has a bit of romance, a bit of history, and the interaction/dysfunction of the the main characters. I really liked the story, this one goes on the "may read it again list".

2 comments:

Julia said...

It sounds good. Thanks for the review!

Susanne said...

I sometimes get stuck in the same type of book too. I started to branch out a bit more and am glad I did, although there is definitely certain styles of writing or genres of books I won't read.

Thanks for the review.